Photo

Long-Term Effects of the Sport....When Do They Show Up?

brain injuries boxing punch drunk punches floyd sr defense fighthype mayweather

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 21,480 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 09:14 AM

I'm pretty sure this could be merged with the thread regarding safer measures in the sport, but here we go. I responded to KSUN's post a few mins ago and praised the likes of Ward and Bradley being young (and knowledgeable) commentators. 

With that in mind, I wanna bring up something we've all been talking about for weeks now....brain injuries. Not the ones that ruin you immediately, but the long-term injuries. 

I saw an interview with Floyd Sr. after the NVBHOF and I almost teared up, smh. When I say, mentally, he's GONE. Smh. I saw another interview after the Thurman/Pac fight (I believe) and he struggled during the interview...and these f*ckin interviews go on for nearly 5 mins. WTF???

He can barely string a sentence along and he loses his points just as quickly as he starts them. I mean, he is 66 years old, but I've seen people in their 60's speak better than this. 

He's always been a bit delayed and you could see in the Mayweather/De La Hoya post-fight interview when he was struggling to "spit it out". Over the years, he seemed to have gotten better and was back to talking shit (which I love), but he's in bad shape nowadays.

Do any you all notice it from current fighters or guys who recently retired (5 years ago and beyond)??? If so, who? Post the clip (if you can find it) and explain. 

UPDATE: I just saw Jr. and Sr.'s HOF speech and Sr. mentioned being in a bad car accident recently, that puts a lot of things in perspective as far as his speech is concerned.

#2 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:46 PM

No videos to post, but Shane Mosely has been slurring his speech for a while now. He's been in some wars. Bernard Hopkins was a decent defensive fighter, but his speech is a lot slower. 

Kinda hard to tell with the guys that don't speak English as fluently as some. Not sure if that's the language barrier (accent) or boxing damage. Maybe a little of both.

Maybe, Miguel Cotto? But I think he may purposely try to get his thoughts together before he talks. Unless, he's just a slow talker as English isn't his 1st language. Adonis Stevenson prior to his recent KO loss. GGG is hard to understand also. He uses his head as his defense, but with his accent it is hard to tell. 

Mayweather Sr is bad and probably getting worse. Met him at the Roy Jones Invititational tournament last year. Spoke to Sr and listened to him talking to others. You can definitely tell he has signs of some damage. Slurred and delayed speech. In videos I've seen of him, he gets distracted easily and constantly veers off-topic. Didn't know about the accident either.

One thing I take away from the CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) or TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) is that most of these guys start so young (same with football). Their brains aren't fully developed yet and was never designed to take the type of punishment these guys take.  Whether it be from helmet to helmet collisions or repeated blows to the head. It's done for our entertainment, but the long term effects are brutal.

We may see signs, but no real way to tell until they are deceased and a doctor conducts a study on their brain. 

#3 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,605 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 04:29 PM

Sr did an interview on the Mayweather youtube channel once and talked about the wear and tear on the brain and body. He said basically said he knows for a fact something aint right up there. The words are there but when he goes to say them, they don't come out the way he wants. It was gutwrenching to watch. 

Sr

https://www.youtube....h?v=DP_fr1bOVU0

Roger

https://www.youtube....h?v=V07cJCLjnQE

Edited by Franchize, 14 August 2019 - 04:45 PM.

#4 mitukczuk

mitukczuk

Lightweight

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:05 AM

One fighter that comes to mind immediately is James Toney. I mean for a somewhat defensive dude he got hit a BUNCH. I think the Jirov fight alone could have erased his brain altogether. I read somewhere that he sometimes didnt even train, just sparred. Couldnt have helped either. 
https://www.youtube....h?v=z0OTQqszc9A

I think both Mayweathers Rog and Sr can serve as a good example. It is a god damn shame as both are amazing characters with a lot of knowledge.

Also I used to be concerned for Roy Jones. Nowadays he seems to be ok, but there was a time where he had some slurred speech. 

Edited by mitukczuk, 15 August 2019 - 05:09 AM.

• Franchize likes this

#5 MAHDI

MAHDI

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

Jake Lamotta amazed me...considering his face first style and amount of fights, he seemed pretty sharp and spoke pretty well

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brain injuries, boxing, punch drunk, punches, floyd sr, defense, fighthype, mayweather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users