• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 10:17 AM

There is this guy on youtube and I forget what his channel is called, it's this younger, sort of chubby brother, who seems pretty knowledgeable.  He comes across as having a real beef with Haymon but I was feeling what he was saying about Crawford choosing to sign with top rank.  Crawford shouldnt be shunned or shut out of fights just because he chose to fight with Top Rank.  Now I dont know the ins and outs of what Arum and Haymon have discussed in regard to potential match ups for Crawford so I can't really point fingers, but I think if all the facts were laid out about their prelim negotiations/talks that there is probably more blame that can be put on one than the other.  Maybe Al is shitty about the past lawsuits.  Maybe Arum is jealous because his stable couldnt hold any weight against PBC.  Whatever it is the fans seem to get the short end of the stick.  But again, admittedly, maybe I'm just being impatient.  

I don't think it's him being shunned or shut out by other promoters. It's Arum not wanting his fighters to fight outside of his stable. I have been preaching this for years. Many fans think of it in terms of the gross income potential. You have to look at it from the point of view of a greedy promoter. It's math. 

Scenario A: My superstar vs Other promoter's superstar = Large revenue - revenue split - share to my fighter

Scenario B: My superstar vs Hype job I created = Smaller revenue - share to my fighters + revenue brought in from my undercard fighters I get to showcase 

Scenario A is your May/Pac, Bud/Truth, Lomo/Tank etc. Arum is greedy, but it's not just him. Eddie Hearn does it too, which is why it took this long for Joshua to get exposed. 

#12 pacco_diablo

pacco_diablo

Featherweight

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:45 AM

I don't think it's him being shunned or shut out by other promoters. It's Arum not wanting his fighters to fight outside of his stable. I have been preaching this for years. Many fans think of it in terms of the gross income potential. You have to look at it from the point of view of a greedy promoter. It's math. 

Scenario A: My superstar vs Other promoter's superstar = Large revenue - revenue split - share to my fighter

Scenario B: My superstar vs Hype job I created = Smaller revenue - share to my fighters + revenue brought in from my undercard fighters I get to showcase 

Scenario A is your May/Pac, Bud/Truth, Lomo/Tank etc. Arum is greedy, but it's not just him. Eddie Hearn does it too, which is why it took this long for Joshua to get exposed. 

That's a fair assessment.  One would think that at a certain point the sanctioning bodies would or could do more in the way of making the "must" fights happen.  I'm not sure if it's an unwritten rule but they seem to steer clear of mandatories holding other belts.  I can see how going in that direction could really muddy up the water but at the end of the day it seems like the fans are the one's left holding the bag, and it's a big bag of disappointment.  But again, I'm probably just being impatient because in the end we usually do get the fights we want.  Boxing is a strange concoction of bullshit that somehow works itself out.  My real fear is that the sport becomes too "partisan" and fighters slip too far out of their primes for history to get an accurate assessment.  Sometimes I just wish we could go back to the level of corruption during the 80/90's.  Except for maybe Bowe v Lewis, which was probably more of Bowe's doing, I can't think of many fights that we didnt get.  IMO          

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users