Photo

PPV@9PM(ET)/6P) PT- Wilder vs. Ortiz II- SPOILERS (No Public Steams)

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 Franchize

Franchize

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:58 AM

Firstly....Cshel's post about Ortiz falling off a skateboard is the comment of the night lol

Secondly, I'm in a weird place when it comes to Wilder. I'm having difficulty evaluating him now because at the end of the day, it's easy to point out what he's doing wrong but he literally knows he's going to drop every opponent he faces. I've seen big punchers before. I witnessed the Tyson era. Most big punchers throw until they catch you and then BAM! They either put your lights out or pounce on you. Not Wilder. This dude literally waits for whatever opening he sees that he knows he can get that right hand into perfectly and it's a wrap. I rarely see him knock out guys on accident. In all my years of watching boxing, I've never seen a guy with a better sense of what punch will KO his opponent and when it will land. In both the Brazeale fight and this one, as soon as he THREW the punch he knew that was it. Read what I said carefully. When he THREW it. Not when it landed. That's incredible. 

Wilder is technically flawed but it's hard to know what is him being outboxed and what is him being patient. If you don't think he's one of the hardest punchers in boxing history, you're either old and washed holding onto the past or a hater at this point. I think he might be second on my list behind Ernie Shavers. 

Finally, on a sad note, the media will write off Ortiz and say he's old and done but honestly, he looked REALLY good last night sans the KO. His jab snapped. His footwork was excellent. He was spry. I think he beats most HW out there including Joshua. Unfortunately, the boxing media will try to shame him into obscurity. 

• pacco_diablo likes this

#62 pacco_diablo

pacco_diablo

Featherweight

• Members
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 12:44 PM

Firstly....Cshel's post about Ortiz falling off a skateboard is the comment of the night lol

Secondly, I'm in a weird place when it comes to Wilder. I'm having difficulty evaluating him now because at the end of the day, it's easy to point out what he's doing wrong but he literally knows he's going to drop every opponent he faces. I've seen big punchers before. I witnessed the Tyson era. Most big punchers throw until they catch you and then BAM! They either put your lights out or pounce on you. Not Wilder. This dude literally waits for whatever opening he sees that he knows he can get that right hand into perfectly and it's a wrap. I rarely see him knock out guys on accident. In all my years of watching boxing, I've never seen a guy with a better sense of what punch will KO his opponent and when it will land. In both the Brazeale fight and this one, as soon as he THREW the punch he knew that was it. Read what I said carefully. When he THREW it. Not when it landed. That's incredible. 

Wilder is technically flawed but it's hard to know what is him being outboxed and what is him being patient. If you don't think he's one of the hardest punchers in boxing history, you're either old and washed holding onto the past or a hater at this point. I think he might be second on my list behind Ernie Shavers. 

Finally, on a sad note, the media will write off Ortiz and say he's old and done but honestly, he looked REALLY good last night sans the KO. His jab snapped. His footwork was excellent. He was spry. I think he beats most HW out there including Joshua. Unfortunately, the boxing media will try to shame him into obscurity. 

Spot on man.  It's like he walks this line where people dont know if he's actually a genius or bat shit crazy.  I think maybe not only does he know that he can end a fight with one shot, but he also believes that he can take his opponents best shot.  At this level of professional talent I can't imagine that the basic fundamentals of boxing would go completely out the window, and it's crazy to think about, but maybe WIlder was purposely throwing that slappy, awkward, ineffective jab as part of the game plan?

And Shavers definitely had some power.  The Lyle match up was the definition of old school and it's probably a good thing refs dont let it go that far anymore.  The way Lyle teed off on Shavers head is an image I'll never forget.  It's a gross understatement to say that dudes were tough back then.      

#63 MAHDI

MAHDI

Junior Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 02:44 PM

Wilder is hardest puncher in boxing. One shot is all it takes. Ortiz laxed for a second and got knocked into the next week...

#64 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,897 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 11:05 AM

Dude snuck that right hand straight through! He didn't even sit on the punch! It was all arm. Tyson Fury better be ready.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users