• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cshel86

Cshel86

"The Meanest Nice Guy"

• Moderators
  • 22,071 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:30 AM

I may very well merge this with the Crawford/Mean Machine thread, but we'll see. It seems as though nobody gave a flying flip about this fight and now everyone's "reporting" the knockdown and trying to start conspiracies about Crawford having holes in his game. I get it, but, again, if you never cared about the fight to begin with, why act like you care now?

What I find sad is everyone's willingness to boldly claim that they have no idea who Mean Machine is/was and how much of a "nobody" he was, but everyone's breaking their necks to report the "knockdown" in round 3 or whatnot. It was a clean punch, but we've such "knockdowns" count while others get ruled a slip, push, etc. 

Moreover, the audacity to say you "have no idea who Mean Machine is" and he's a "bum" or whatnot, is irresponsible journalism. They did the same with Jeff Horn and the Pacquaio fight. Why say a guy is a "nobody" because YOU don't know who he is?

As a journalist, you're supposed to educate the fans, but it's clear most of them have agendas and would rather report stupid sh*t like Crawford vs Spence, when they're ALL supposed to know how this Top Rank/Haymon situation works. 

We've gone through the Mayweather/Pacquiao negotiations era, so they know exactly how tha f*ck this whole thing works. At this point, they're supposed to. 

The last mind-boggling and disrespectful thing I noticed was how they (in so many words) overlooks Bud's opponent and seemingly grilled him for the reason he isn't fighting "better" competition. Why not put the pressure on Spence as well. 

Listen, I love Haymon and most of what he's done with the sport, however, people need to take their blinders off and realize Haymon gets in the way of some of these fights happening. Most can argue that he ruined any chances of a Kovalev/Stevenson fight going into 2014 and that's a fact. 

Does anybody else notice this casual "journalism" and most of these "journalists" being biased fans with agendas themselves!?

• pacco_diablo likes this

#2 pacco_diablo

pacco_diablo

Featherweight

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:58 PM

I may very well merge this with the Crawford/Mean Machine thread, but we'll see. It seems as though nobody gave a flying flip about this fight and now everyone's "reporting" the knockdown and trying to start conspiracies about Crawford having holes in his game. I get it, but, again, if you never cared about the fight to begin with, why act like you care now?

What I find sad is everyone's willingness to boldly claim that they have no idea who Mean Machine is/was and how much of a "nobody" he was, but everyone's breaking their necks to report the "knockdown" in round 3 or whatnot. It was a clean punch, but we've such "knockdowns" count while others get ruled a slip, push, etc. 

Moreover, the audacity to say you "have no idea who Mean Machine is" and he's a "bum" or whatnot, is irresponsible journalism. They did the same with Jeff Horn and the Pacquaio fight. Why say a guy is a "nobody" because YOU don't know who he is?

As a journalist, you're supposed to educate the fans, but it's clear most of them have agendas and would rather report stupid sh*t like Crawford vs Spence, when they're ALL supposed to know how this Top Rank/Haymon situation works. 

We've gone through the Mayweather/Pacquiao negotiations era, so they know exactly how tha f*ck this whole thing works. At this point, they're supposed to. 

The last mind-boggling and disrespectful thing I noticed was how they (in so many words) overlooks Bud's opponent and seemingly grilled him for the reason he isn't fighting "better" competition. Why not put the pressure on Spence as well. 

Listen, I love Haymon and most of what he's done with the sport, however, people need to take their blinders off and realize Haymon gets in the way of some of these fights happening. Most can argue that he ruined any chances of a Kovalev/Stevenson fight going into 2014 and that's a fact. 

Does anybody else notice this casual "journalism" and most of these "journalists" being biased fans with agendas themselves!?

That's well stated.  There has definitely been a merging between journalism and bloggers.  What I kind of like about all the different boxing websites and channels on youtube are the differing opinions and it's easy to speak your piece if you feel they go off the rails.  I love how fighthype and the other boxing entities can get access to the fighters and into the fights.  Not that anyone can just get that access but it's unique because that doesnt happen in any other sport, not without a network sending you in. However, it's like you said, so many are so heavily based on opinions that there is usually very little to learn. 

I didnt know anything about the Mean Machine and it wasnt until I found out that he was a mandatory that everything felt ok about the fight.  But that was my own ignorance.  After watching him fight though, you could see that he doesnt rattle easily.  He stuck to his game plan and legitimately won a couple of those rounds.  He put up a decent fight until Terence went orthodox, as brief as that turn was.  That finally got him off his square.  That's one of the really great things about the sanctioning bodies, they've got their eye on the talent and it's always fun watching a #1 contender break through.  

As far as the knock down, I only remember seeing one replay so it was hard to really gauge exactly how it went down.  It didnt really look brutal and Terence has shown a few times in the past that his knees can buckle.  As with nearly all fighters he's not immune to a punchers chance.  He actually kind of sets himself up for that which is why I enjoy watching him fight.  High risk high reward.  

I have jobs sometimes where I need to be a journalist, and when I'm in that mindset I do everything in my power to show the opposing view.  I've spoken with many Trump supporters, people who despise Kaepernick, people who have said some truly despicable things about race and genders and still I seek out their opinions.  I flip the switch and become neutral because the information that needs to be heard is far beyond my beliefs.  That is the foundation of journalism.  Anything else is yellow journalism or slander.  I think we can blame the new way of journalism on not only the bad bloggers but the cable news networks like Fox News, and even CNN and MSNBC to be fair.  Their biased opinions have bled heavily into real "news" stories and a lot of people can;t even really tell the difference anymore, either that or they hate hearing it considered as real news.  I recognize and understand your pain Bro.          

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users