• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jack 1000

Jack 1000

The Consultant

• Root Admin
  • 10,785 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 04:42 PM

My article on this topic: Who if anybody is to blame for boxing moving more to a business-countered model than giving the fights that the fans want to see?

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Jack

#2 The Original MrFactor

The Original MrFactor

Light Heavyweight

• Members
  • 4,096 posts
  • Interests:Boxing

Posted 29 December 2019 - 05:30 PM

I like the article. However, I think it goes beyond Roy Jones. You can make a case for Ray Leonard doing the same thing. He was fighting Donny LaLonde when his contemporaries Duran and Hearns were fighting Iran Barkley. 

#3 KSUN247

KSUN247

Welterweight

• Members
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 08:25 PM

Boxers have been getting screwed over financially for years. Don King and Bob Arum are certified geniuses at this. Maybe the writing was on the wall for boxers to make as much money as they can with the least amount of risk.  Everything is always about money. The question is who is getting it? And who is getting the lion's share of the money?

I have no issue with fighters getting paid, but I still like to see competitive matches. I think what Haymon and PBC have done for boxing is great. However, it seems it has come at a cost. We are seeing more guys fighting and taking a bigger share of the profit than in past years. But we still aren't always seeing the best fight the best on a regular basis. We get some good quality fights, but not every fight is like that. 

HBO basically went out of business overpaying guys (GGG) to squash B and C-level fighters. They promoted him as the next big thing in boxing, but that was smoke and mirrors. The promoters still control the business, no matter what network. They are gonna line their pockets first and then decide how to appease the masses. 

My blame goes to the promoters. They do not want to see the apple cart turned upside down. They will keep lining up A-level talent against sub-level talent to keep the money flowing. Promoters are always thinking 2 steps ahead of the fighters/networks. When boxer A starts to show decline, they have another star being built up by squashing other B and C-level fighters. Promoters are looking for viewers and to put butts in seats. Doesn't matter how they get there. Knockouts do that. Crafty, sweet science is being left behind. Promoters are appealing to the casual fan and not really the hardcore boxing fan. 

Fans and fighters have to demand more from the promoters. Promoters work for the boxers. If a boxer wants a fight, it can be made. But some guys are very comfortable with the pay. And some are scared to speak up. Getting put on the shelf sucks! Or getting cheated out of legit victories by piss-poor judging really sucks! As long as promoters keep getting crazy paid by networks, they will continue to produce so-so quality matches most of the time and squash matches to keep viewers watching a majority of the time. The high quality A-level vs A-level fights will be rare.

Sorry, I'm all over the place.

Edited by KSUN247, 30 December 2019 - 04:10 AM.

#4 Dolimite

Dolimite

Cruiserweight

• Members
  • 5,979 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 09:14 PM

Undefeated records and promotional companies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users