FightHype.com

MAYWEATHER PLANS MAY 5 RETURN; WANTS "BIGGEST FIGHT POSSIBLE" AGAINST PACQUIAO

By Ben Thompson | November 03, 2011
MAYWEATHER PLANS MAY 5 RETURN; WANTS

As FightHype.com previously reported, undefeated pound-for-pound champion Floyd Mayweather is looking to make the biggest fight possible when he makes his return to the ring, which is already tentatively scheduled to take place on May 5, 2012 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. According to Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe, that fight is the one we've all been waiting for. "Team Mayweather is looking to make the biggest fight possible and everyone knows what that fight is," he would tell FightHype.com earlier today, revealing that they're looking forward to making the fight with Manny Pacquiao assuming he takes care of business against Juan Manuel Marquez next weekend.

"It's very pleasing to know that Manny Pacquiao has agreed to be subjected to the USADA random blood and urine tests," Ellerbe explained, referring to recent comments made by both Pacquiao and his promoter, Bob Arum, suggesting that there are "no issues" as it relates to random blood and urine tests. In fact, during a conference call to promote the third and final showdown between Pacquiao and Marquez, Bob Arum commented, "We have agreed, as far as Manny Pacquiao is concerned, to Olympic-style drug testing...For two years, Manny Pacquiao has said that he agrees to random, Olympic-style testing." Although Arum wasn't exactly accurate when he said Pacquiao has agreed for two years, it's the type of news that Team Mayweather was pleased to hear when they were informed of the comments.

"That's news to us, but that's great to hear. Now hopefully the fans will finally get what they want to see. I'm sure that when he made these comments, all the members of the media that were on the call were just as pleased as we are to hear that," Ellerbe commented in an exclusive interview with FightHype. "It's great to hear that they are now ready to take the same USADA random blood and urine tests that Floyd, Shane Mosley, and Victor Ortiz have already taken. This is great for the sport of boxing and I commend Manny Pacquiao for stepping up to the plate."

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer would later tell ESPN's Dan Rafael that they already have the MGM Grand on hold for the May 5 date. Let's all hope that today, Bob Arum was telling the truth and they truly are ready to take the same USADA random blood and urine tests that Floyd Mayweather, Shane Mosley and Victor Ortiz have already taken.

CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL INTERVIEW WITH MAYWEATHER PROMOTIONS CEO LEONARD ELLERBE



[ Follow Ben Thompson on Twitter @fighthype ]

JULY 17, 2019
JULY 16, 2019